Great job by Anzik, Manar, Mila, and Quinn on their patterning exit cards earlier this month. Exit cards are a tool we use occasionally to check for understanding or as a quick assessment. Sometimes a few of these are better than bogging students down with a big test
Today students brought their habitat projects home. Please look for the marking rubric that is attached to their report.
It took us many days to get through all 27 presentations and me many hours to mark them all, but we are finally done! It was well worth the effort. Many of our students clearly enjoyed the hands on learning opportunity; applying what they learned about their animals habitat. As well, we learned a lot from our first big research assignment. For example, the importance of giving credit to your sources, putting ideas into your own words, gathering lots of information from multiple sources, and putting your new knowledge together in well written and organized paragraphs. Here are a few highlights:
Both Manar and Ayan did a great job taking notes when researching. Pulling just the key ideas out of a text to make point form notes is an important skill.
Adnan wrote wonderful paragraphs on the positive and negative effects that humans have on the Timber Rattlesnake. I also thought it was a nice added touch that he gave his family credit when listing his sources.
Joel constructed some well informed paragraphs, did a good job incorporating our learning about eco passages from class, and had a nicely labeled food chain.
Elora showed us how easy oral presentations can be when you do your work on Google slides.
(Waiting for shared permission so I can share her work with you here…stayed tuned to edits on this post)
And of course, all of our many amazing dioramas…It was great to see how many students remembered to show all the parts of a habitat: space, water, shelter, and a relationship with specific other animals and plants. Well done everyone. I’m sorry if I missed any. I tried to get everyone’s. If I missed yours here, let me know or send me a picture and I’ll add it in.
We have been working to expand our vocabulary and improve our spelling during word work. We have added new words like agile, exclaimed, balance, and biome to our vocabulary.
Here students are sorting words with vowel-R combinations. We talked about how vowels with r can sometimes sound the same, such as -ir (girl), -er (nervous), -or (working), and -ur (purple). We also looked -ar and -ir, and noted how the sound changes with another vowel like -ear in hear and -air in pair.
In writing, we are pulling apart and ordering stories to better help us understand how we organize writing in this form. We are working to ensure our story beginnings have well developed characters, descriptive settings, and a problem or action that will move us into the middle of the story.